Saturday, June 5, 2010

Wow, I haven't blogged in forever

I work almost every night at a local paper. My wife works 40 hours a week. We have two young kids.
I don't have all that much time.
When I do get time to myself, I don't always want to spend it with a keyboard. So, I haven't blogged in For-ev-er.
I am going to talk about.... hockey. What else?
The Stanley Cup finals are tied at 2 games a piece and it has been just wonderful. There are more storylines in this final than you can shake a Penguin at. Chicago's renewed love affair with the Blackhawks, Flyer fans coming out from whatever primordial ooz they dwell in to be what we all expect (see Native American head on a stick guy on puckdaddy), Toews and Kane not being Toews or Kane. Chris Pronger being a legendary son of a b*tch and the list goes on.
I am loving it.
The thing I pay the closest attention to is the coverage. I like to see where hockey ranks on Espn.com of on Sportscenter. If the finals are not up against a NBA game or a legendary coaches death, they get top billing. They do well when they are the only game in town.
This holds true for the newspaper I work for. If it is a slow news day, the Stanley cup gets on the front page of sports. The other day was so slow, we used three Cup articles on a non-game night. Heck, we even used a picture of Vince Vaughn sitting behind the glass from Patrick Kane.
This should tell Gary Bettman that his league is not strong enough, even during the Cup finals when interest peaks, to challenge the NBA or any other events. schedule the games on nights where they can be the only game in town.
The main stream media is full of hockey neophytes. They don't get it and they don't want to get it. We can't compete with ignorance, so don't try.

No comments:

Post a Comment